Wednesday, February 22, 2012

The First S - Seiri

Are you ready to begin? We start in 5 days.
The first S in the 5s System is:
  Sort (Seiri): This refers to the practice of sorting through all the tools, materials, etc., in the work area and keeping only essential items. Everything else is stored or discarded. This leads to fewer hazards and less clutter to interfere with productive work.
  What does this mean for your home? This is the beginning of organization. Before you make a home for your stuff, you go through it all and keep only essential items. Items you love and need, you keep. It can be done in little bites, which is a little easier on you, because you can do anything for a few minutes. You can also jump in and pull everything, say out of your closet, which is going to be my first step, but it is up to your time schedule. Everyone, whether you work outside or inside the home, is super busy, but we can always find a little time for the things we really want or need to do.
   Like I said, I am going to have to pull everything out of my closet (this isn't going to be my approach to every room). I have a house that was not made with alot of storage space, so that's my first step. I am going to have to make room, so I will be able to organize it. I am going to have 3 large baskets; one for things to give away, one for things to sale and one for trash. The items I am going to keep will go back in the closet and items that have no business being in my closet, will be put where they belong. Sorting is part one.

No comments:

Post a Comment